Balancing Guide: Pitta Season
Ever since I was a little girl Summer was my favorite time of the year. Sunshine, abundance of fruits and vegetables, family vacations, the beauty of nature in its full bloom makes summer so enjoyable. However, summer can also be extremely depleting if you are not taking care of yourself properly. According to Ayurveda,summer is the Pitta Season. The Pitta dosha is made up of fire and water and has sharp, oily, hot, light qualities. During the summer we may experience an increase in heartburn, headaches, dehydration, headaches, dry, itchy and sunburned skin. Here are a few ways to keep yourself cool, calm and collected and enjoy the gifts this season has to offer:
- Eat sweet, bitter and astringent foods
- Sweet fruits like – apples, watermelon, apricots, avocado, cherries, coconut, dates, figs, grapes, mango, melon, papaya, pear, pomegranate
- Well cooked legumes, almonds, flax, pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Leafy greens, seaweed salad and vegetable juices
- Drink plenty of water. Coconut water is a great choice.
- Cooling herbal teas like peppermint and wintergreen
- Walk barefoot on earth
- Swim in natural bodies of water
- Yoga should be performed in a cool area with an intention of surrendering and releasing
- Use sweet, cooling and calming essential oils like lavender, peppermint, rose, jasmine, sandalwood
Stay cool and enjoy the summer!
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.